banner image

Am I True to Myself?

I have to live with myself, and so

I want to be fit for myself to know,

I want to be able, as days go by,

Always to look myself straight in the eye;

I don't want to stand, with the setting sun, 

And hate myself for things I have done.

I don't want to keep on a closet shelf

A lot of secrets about myself,

And fool myself, as I come and go,

Into thinking that nobody else will know

The kind of man I really am;

I don't want to dress up myself in sham.

I want to go out with my head erect,

I want to deserve all men's respect;

But here in the struggle for fame and pelf

I want to be able to like myself.

I don't want to look at myself and know

That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show.

I can never hide myself from me;

I see what others may never see;

I know what others may never know,

I can never fool myself, and so,

Whatever happens, I want to be

Self-respecting and conscience free.

                EDGAR GUEST.
Am I True to Myself? Am I True to Myself? Reviewed by Idowu Wasiu on 12:52:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.